FAQ

What is an Airport Master Plan?
The Airport Master Plan is the short- and long-term development concept for the airport.  It is the local airport planning document to be used as guidance in planning for airport facility needs over a 20-year time period

Why is the airport completing a master plan?
The FAA recommends that public use facilities such as Dubuque Regional Airport update their Master Plan every 7-10 years or as local aviation conditions change.

Who is preparing the Airport Master Plan Update?
Following a qualifications-based selection process, Coffman Associates, Inc. was selected to undertake the Airport Master Plan study.  Coffman Associates is a national aviation consulting firm specializing in airport planning studies.  Coffman Associates will lead the project with engineering support from Foth and MTZ Geospatial.

Who is funding the Airport Master Plan Update?
The FAA provides 90 percent of the project funding, with the remaining 10 percent coming from the City of Dubuque.  The funding is sourced from the federal Aviation Trust Fund, which is funded exclusively by various aviation user fees, including taxes on airline tickets, aviation fuel, and some aircraft parts.

What is the process of the Master Plan?
The Master Plan consists of several elements designed to provide a current snapshot of the airport, its associated facilities, and regional demographic data; forecasts for future aviation demand; facility requirements for the long-term planning  horizon; alternatives to meet those facility requirements;  a recommended development concept; and a capital improvement program. Airport Layout Plans will also be developed during the study process.

How can I get involved and stay informed?
All pertinent project materials, including draft submissions, are posted to on this website.  Public comments can be submitted on the comments section of this web site.  In addition, this project calls for up to three public information workshops which will be held during the master plan development process.  The public information workshop will be advertised locally and on this project website.